Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Less is More 13

Two posts in one day is a miracle around here. Even though I made these yesterday, I had to post my One Layer Wednesday first since time was running out! Week 13 at Less is More is a Lucky Dip Week - make a thank you or congratulations card.

In the United States this week is teacher appreciation week, so I set about making thank you cards for my daughters' teachers. I purchased this apple punch last fall on clearance, thinking it would be great for teacher thank you cards. Too bad I didn't make my cards then! Instead I waited until the Monday of the start of teacher appreciation week. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!


For the first card I went with a simple layout featuring a raised panel of 3 punched apples in red, yellow, and green. I included a strip of ribbon and a sentiment. I'm pleased with the pop of colors on white card stock. It feels very clean and bright.

For my second card I stamped a random alphabet background using my Versamagic stamp pad onto the kraft card base. I saw this technique used somewhere, possibly on PaperTrey Ink. I randomly placed clear letter stamps on my acrylic block and stamped onto the kraft. By arranging them on the block first and then stamping just once, it went very quickly. Then I filled in the gaps with other letters since my block was not quite as large as the card base. I used some very old scraps of red and green patterned paper from my scrap box for the apples.

I'm pleased with both of these cards and hope my girls' teachers will like them. I taught school for 8 years before my kids came along, and I always appreciated handwritten notes and cards from my students and their parents more than anything else. It's nice to feel appreciated.

Supplies:
Paper: PTI kraft and white, scraps from scrap box
Stamps: PTI sentiment, AMuse clear alphabet stamps
Ink: Brilliance pearlescent ivy and rocket red
Other: apple punch, ribbon

18 comments:

Jess S said...

i like both these, but my favourite is the first one.... a lot cleaner :)

Gibmiss said...

hi
lovely cards very nice...
hugs sylvie
xx

Posh Tags and Tickets said...

Very pretty cards both are real fun
Love Posh x

Dolly Daydreams said...

Beautiful cards both very stylish couldn't choose between them both are so fresh and lovely.

Marie

Susan said...

Ooooo..perfect for the teacher! I love them both...but I really love the primary colors in the first one!

Sarah's Little Snippets said...

Two gorgeous cards....I love the stamped background - I must try it! Sarah x

Kathyk said...

Two fab cards and I LOVE (love love) the first one

Kathyk

Suze Bain said...

Two fab cards, can't decide which one I like best, a great design. x

Jenny said...

Love both of them too Anne. The alphabet background is a great idea:)
Jenny x

Unknown said...

I couldn't pick between the two cards, each one has something I like! They are both great cards. Sarah

Chrissie said...

Two super cards! I'm sure the teachers will be delighted!
Thanks so much for joining in our challenge this week!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Judy1223 said...

I love both of these cards...great way to mark Teacher Appreciation Week!

Mandi said...

Simple and understated
Perfect!
Continued thanks for supporting our challenge blog
Diva LIM mandi
Less is More

G Peplow said...

Hello there, Great cards, love the utter simplicity. Of course we all know how difficult simple is LOL :0) xxx

Zoe Tant said...

Oooh scrummy apples. Love both versions. Zx

Aileen said...

Both great cards but I like the top one best - bright and sunny. x

Carol said...

Two lovely cards but I think the first ne takes the edge. Carolx

Vicky Hayes said...

An absolutely stunning design and perfect for teachers' notes!