Thursday, February 17, 2011

One Layer Wednesday 41

This week's One Layer Wednesday at Simplicity is a Christmas challenge - red and green on white or cream and only one layer. This is my first time playing along with one of Susan's challenges, although I have been lurking on her blog for most of the last year! I'm finally brave enough, I guess.

I've been expanding my meager stamp collection, based largely on Susan's recommendations, into Stampin' Up, Hero Arts, and PTI. I just purchased this old set (Best Blossoms) on eBay, and while it's not Christmas, I wanted to play with it. Stamped in red and green, I figure it looks festive enough.

I scored a triple frame around the images, and while it was a bit of a pain, I really like how it turned out. I just got the scoring board for Christmas from my mother-in-law, and I honestly don't know how I've lived without it. I'm in love!




I'm not thrilled with my stamping and placement of the leaves, but after several tries it just had to be good enough! I made the first card on vintage cream, and then thought I'd try it on white. I'm not sure which I like better, but I think they're both okay. Sorry for the dark pictures; it's a dreary sort of day in Washington. I'm going to have to work on my photography!

Thank you, Susan, for your inspiration. I'm really happy to finally be playing along!

Supplies:
Stamps: Stampin' Up, Hero Arts sentiment
Paper: PTI vintage cream, white
Ink: Brilliance pearlescent ivy, VersaMagic red brick

16 comments:

Doris said...

Love the way you used scoring for a frame. Your card is next to mine and are similar in color--great minds think alike! Welcome to OLW!

Jennifer Styles said...

Oh my, this is absolutely gorgeous!

Deliciously crisp and clean and that scoring is totally fab!

Meghan said...

Such a beautiful traditional card, I love how crisp your images look!

Sue said...

I have that stamp set too, and wouldn't have thought to use it for Christmas, but you've shown it's absolutely appropriate. You'll love that set; I reach for it time and again and haven't tired of it at all! Lovely card you've made with it! Did you mask he frame and stamp, then do the scoring? And HOW did you get the scoring placed so perfectly?!

Susan said...

Oh MY! How pretty! I LOVE it stamped on the white...and those scored lines are PERFECT!!! Gotta remember that!

Janelle said...

Love the triple-scored frame. Gorgeous cards... looks like you get those "extra points" for using non-Christmas stamps, too. :) Great job on your first OLW challenge!

kingstonmama said...

I scored the frames first. On the back of the front I put little dots where the four outer corners of the "frame" should be. Then I scored down one side, rotated the card, scored the next side, rotated, and so on. Once the outer square was scored I just moved in and did the inner frames.

After scoring, I stamped the flower and sentiment in red. Then I masked the flower and the frame and stamped the leaves in green.

There may be a right way to do these things, but I just muddle along, figuring it out as I go! :)

Chrissie said...

Wow this is really beautiful... I reckon you muddle along really REALLY well!
Chrissie

Ali Manning said...

Your card is totally stunning! I NEED one of those scoring boards,

Alli H. said...

Very nice card. I really like the idea of the frame around the image. Good luck.

Pauline said...

Really nice card. I liked how you used the scoring tool. Very effective.

Pauline said...

Great card., Loved how you used your scoring tool

Susan Raihala said...

OH, I'm so VERY glad you came out of LurkerVille to play. Your cards are lovely and creative!

Deborah Frings said...

Welcome to one of the best challenges in blogland!! I really like these cards - both are brilliant! The frame was worth it!! Very elegant cards.

G Peplow said...

Hello there, brilliant start, I love your cards, the scoring is perfect, crisp clean and frame the stamping beautifully. Success:0) xxx

Colleen said...

Beautiful card! I just adore the triple scoring! So glad you decided to join the challenge . . . we'll be expecting great things from you =D
Hugs,
Colleen