Friday, June 15, 2012

Shikepoke Cards

I've made two Father's Day cards using the Wplus9 guiding light set.  I think I bought this set just so I could make cards for my dad using the heron image, so it's strange that until now, I've used all the images from the set except for the heron. :)

Now I've put that little heron to good use.  For both of my cards I cased this beautiful card from Sea Glass & Sentiments.  I've also used the beautiful colors from this week's ColourQ challenge on my first card.  The picture doesn't show it well, but one of the buttons is actually green.



Living by the water as we do, great blue herons are everywhere.  We love to watch them standing as still as statues along the shore.  I spent a large portion of my childhood on a small island in Puget Sound where there are also many herons.  My dad often called them "shikepokes."  I've never heard anyone call them that except for him.

Out of curiosity, I Googled shikepoke and the first thing that came up was a Wikipedia article about herons.  There are two interesting paragraphs about the origination of the term shikepoke.  Check it out here, if you're interested. :)

Thanks for your visit today.

Ann

 ColourQ Inspiration:

10 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

Well, now I need to go find out! I love the sand dollar & starfish stamps - just the perfect background touches! And the heron is too cool :) There is something magical about getting to see them up close.

Rosemary said...

both cards are super, ann! i love all the background stamping you did on both cards. will be taking the boys down to the nisqually delta in a few weeks... i know we will be seeing some herons down there! thanks for sharing the link!

lostinpaper said...

I can see why you bought this set, the heron silhouette is just fab! Your cards are awesome and the twine adds great texture!

Sylvia said...

What sweet father's Day cards, Ann, love them in both color choices! Thanks for joining us this week at the ColourQ and sharing you card.

Darnell said...

Perfect for a Pop card, Ann! I love all your detail and your sharing about growing up around herons. How awesome!

I looked up the Wiki link on herons and it's quite fascinating. But it can be tough going through some of their writing style for me. Too brainy or something. Just don't get this at all: "shitepokes" (pronunciation: /ˈʃaɪtpoʊk/). Um ... how do get the one from the other? It's quite naughty, and quite funny, the whole derogatory meaning etc., but the pronunciation bit ...

does Wiki say that "meat" is pronounced "chew?"

A fun post! Happy weekend!

Lynn said...

I've been thinking about this set for a while. Your cards are absolutely beautiful.

Anita Scroggins said...

Love your card! Thanks for playing along with CQC this week!!

Vicky Hayes said...

What a fabulous image Ann and who knew there were so many species of heron?!

LeAnne said...

Gorgeous....I LOVE the background images! My dad lives at the shore, but we have herons right here at our pond as well! Great use of the set! Thanks for playing with us this week at the CQC!

Jenny said...

That's a beautiful stamp, so peaceful and serene!
We have grey herons over here and are now starting to get little egrets nesting too!!! I think they are amazing birds, so prehistoric looking when they fly!!
Thanks for the link, very interesting :0)
Jx