Friday, January 20, 2012

One Layer Wednesday 75

For One Layer Wednesday #75, Susan has asked us to make a one-layer birthday card for a guy.  Guy cards are tough!  I don't have a lot of masculine images and so I often turn to my Hero Arts leaf prints set.  

For this card I chose the fern image and some Memento bamboo leaves ink.  I stamped a PTI frame and then masked it before stamping the fern leaves.  I stamped each fern off on another sheet of paper before stamping on the card, so they would be lighter and more textural.  I finished by scoring lines above and below the stamped area.


I think it's pretty easy to make cute little boy card with the PTI fly away mini-set, but I wanted to try to make a more grown-up looking card with it.  I experimented a little bit with layering a variety stamps and came up with this design.  First, I stamped a Close to my Heart background stamp in Memento Desert Sand, stamping it off on another sheet of paper first.  Then I added the airplane in Memento rich cocoa and finally a PTI sentiment.


On this card, I stamped the plane much lower and felt it needed something up high.  I added an image from PTI Mehndi Medallion that looked somewhat "compass-y" to me, off stamping it first so it wouldn't be as dark.  This was fun and challenging, as I rarely layer stamps in this way.


We've been snowed in all week, but the temperatures are warming up and things are starting to melt.  We don't see snow very often here in Western Washington, so things come to a bit of a halt when we do get hit hard!

Supplies:
Paper: PTI white
Ink: Memento bamboo leaves, desert sand, rich cocoa
Stamps: Hero Arts, Close to my Heart, PTI

15 comments:

Rosemary said...

love your one layer cards, ann!! all of them are fantastic! wish i could say i enjoyed the snow... but i didn't! so glad the rain will wash it all away!

Deborah Frings said...

All these are just super! I really like the ones with the plane - just perfect!

I hope the snow melts away soon - we've had hardly anything this winter - thank goodness!

Jenny said...

I love all three of these Ann, the way you've stamped the ferns really draws your eye to the sentiment label and the checkered bkgd looks great...just like a flag!
That's the trouble with snow...it's great if you've nowhere to go!!
Hope you manage to get out this weekend :)
Jenny x

Lisa A. said...

These are ALL wonderful, Ann!!! Especially love the airplane ones...think it's the dark brown...so handsome and rich!! The added panel in the back of the planes is sooooo cool...all very nice:)!!!

Judy1223 said...

Ann, these are wonderful masculine cards! I love the ferns...a classic set, never gets old. The airplane cards are awesome, too...neat background, too. Good luck with the snow...we haven't seen any yet and I kind of wish we would!

Kim S said...

I so like each of these. I would never have tried to "grow up" that airplane but you have out together fantastic, masculine layers,

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS!! You always make the most amazing CAS and one layer cards Anne.
xx

Vicky Hayes said...

These are gorgeous Ann! I love the amount of movement the fern card has in it but your layered stamping is just wonderful too!

Susan said...

I love when someone makes a card and stamps in colors...why do I have such a hard time with it! I'm never satisfied with something stamped in something other than black or brown...but then I see fabulous cards like these and I want to try it again!!

G Peplow said...

What fun Ann, these are wonderful, Gay xxx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Great fun cards, love the aeroplane :)

Sara Mac said...

Great cards! Love the airplane one with the medallion "compass". Very clever idea.

Bonnie said...

This is a super layout and a great guy card! Looks like you took advantage of the snowy weather.

Anonymous said...

Monochramtic & one layer.... soo clever! My fave is the leaves, love the sentiment panel!

Susan Raihala said...

Ohmygoodness! These are all fantastic! I wanna CASE them all! The first is super with the embossed lines framing the stamped area, and the next two are delightful designs of perfect placement!!!