Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Less is More 12 & Make it Monday 12

It is week 12 at Less is More and Capture the Moment's Make it Monday. I haven't participated in either of these challenges the last couple of weeks as other things have been keeping me busy. I stole a couple of hours late last night to make a card for both challenges as they compliment each other so well. Less is More Week 12 is to make your focal point off-center and PTI Make it Monday 12 is to use line frames. I love using broken line frames when I have stamped off-center or off the edge, as I think it really gives the card some balance and ties it all together.



I made two cards using PTI's Year of Flowers for May, Lily of the Valley. For the first card, I wanted the flowers to be white like real lily of the valley, so I stamped on kraft. I colored the leaves with a prismacolor pencil and dabbed white ink on the flowers with a q-tip. I saw this tip on Capture the Moment, and I love the soft look of it. I added a line frame 3/4 of an inch from the edge and stamped a sentiment.


For my second card I stamped the image on white cardstock. Again, I colored the leaves with colored pencil and as I wanted just a touch of color on the blossoms to stand out against the white card, I used a pale pink pencil for the flowers. I added the line frame 1/2 inch from the edge and stamped my sentiment.


I very rarely color on my cards, so it took several tries to get something presentable. Not wanting to waste paper, I kept turning the card over and trying again on different sides. When I finally had one I liked, the inside and back of the card had all my trials. Am I the only one who does this? Anyway, I ended up with cards I liked that weren't usable. :) While I do like them as one-layer cards, I cut them down and matted them on green cardstock so they can actually be sent to someone. Lo and behold, I really like them this way!


Jenny, of the fabulous blog Crafting in the Country, sent me a Versatile Blogger award. I'm quite new to this blogging thing, but once I get it figured out and have a little time I'll pass it on! Thank you, Jenny!

Supplies:
Stamps: PTI Year of Flowers, PTI sentiment
Ink: Stazon black, Brilliance moonlight white
Paper: PTI

25 comments:

Dolly Daydreams said...

Love your cards. Incredibly beautiful and stylish with such subtle colours.

Marie

Chrissie said...

I just love both of these cards... I have been meaning to try this broken frame technique for quite some time, but things somehow got in the way... this looks wonderful... great inspiration!
Thanks so much!
Chrissie
Lady LIM
"Less is More"

G Peplow said...

Perfectly lovely, I'm glad you had some time to craft:0) xxx

Pauline said...

Beautiful cards! I like them matted too.

Jenny said...

This is exactly why I love your blog, your cards are simply gorgeous. The snowdrops on Kraft are beautiful and yes I usually end up turning the card over if I make a mistake and then worry about it when I come to use it. Lovely stamps, would love some PTI but will cost a fortune for postage so I'd want a lot to make the most of shipping costs :)
Jenny x

Seafield Jo said...

These are beautiful cards, I love them both. I too try and salvage any card I can, I hate waste! Jo x

Michelle Short said...

They are both so pretty, I love the stamp. Your layouts are perfect xx

Ruth said...

Two simply gorgeous cards! Ruth x

Suze Bain said...

Two beautiful cards, I love the kraft one. (and yes, if I'm doing a one layer card and it doesn't work out, I use the other side, then cut & mat it). x

Mandi said...

Fantastic cards
I particularly like the ones on kraft
FAB job
Thanks so much
mandi
Diva LIM
Less is More

Lynn said...

Lovely cards - and yes, I think they look fab mounted onto green card, it pulls the colours together. Although, I have to say, I love the kraft card on its own. Lynn x

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. I popped over to visit yours, and WOW! I really love your take on the LIM and MIM challenges! I love both of your cards - the lillies look so great on both the white and Kraft. You colored them beautifully!

pickle said...

Love the frame techinique it's looks very effective on both your beautiful cards x

Aileen said...

Both fabby cards. Can't really chose between them. The frame technique is so effective. x

veronica said...

very pretty!

Sasha said...

Both of your cards are really lovely. Your stamping, colouring and techniques are so effective.

Teresa said...

Very nice cards. I think that stamp would be perfect for a sympathy card too.

Linby said...

oh wow these are beautiful, love the framing technique, must try it one day!
Linbyx

Unknown said...

A beautiful set of cards and yes I also turn the card to re-stamp when I've either made a mistake or didn't like the look and then cut them up to either re-mount or use the card again! I'm a bit of a skinflint in that respect! Sarah

Tracey McNeely said...

The Lily of the Valley is so forgeous. Great job on your card.

debby4000 said...

Oh these are fabulous.
luv
Debby

Zoechaos said...

Lily of the Valley such a pretty delicate flower, mine are just coming into flower now. Makes beautiful simple elegant cards. XOXO Zoe

Ciara said...

These cards are so pretty, the colouring is perfect too, xx

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

These are really beautiful. I have just been introduced to this line frame effect and it looks stunning here.
Caroline xxx

Maria Matter said...

this is stunning!

love your style. As I was scrolling down through looking at your cards, I was saying, "Ooo, I like that one & that one, have to CASE that one!" lol
needless to say, I'm not following you!
Take care & have a lovely weekend!